Finally a productive week!
Although I do not have a lot to physically show (as unfortunately my sewing machine and I have not been reunited except for a quick mend of the boyfriend's work trousers) I have learned a lot, which, after all was the point of starting this project in the first place.
I have been experimenting with how to make a digital version of a very simple pattern I have made. I don't have a scanner here in London which is obviously quite a big limitation when it comes to transferring a pattern from paper to the digital world. I tried a couple of methods of my own, but just didn't seem to be able to get the precision and accuracy I needed.
Then when I was about to give up and start looking for a second hand scanner on eBay, I came across this great tutorial, by a fellow called "Ralph Pink," which provided me with just the right amount of information and inspiration I needed to get back on the Illustrator horse.
I guess my problem is that my knowledge of Illustrator is quite limited. When I learned how to use it at university, it was for a number of different functions: drawing specification sketches, working on prints and designing layouts. These are basically the only things I have needed the program for over the years, and I have never pushed myself any further than that.
It seems that with the help of a few tools that I had never even noticed in the tool box (such as the line tool and the rotate tool) along with some rulers and smart guides I was able to transfer the accuracy of my paper pattern onto my screen (fingers crossed).
When it came to printing, I decided to merge two tutorials together - this one from BurdaStyle and another from Ralph Pink to come up with my own technique. I won't go into details at this stage as I have not yet see if it works! (I don't have a printer at home so will need to get it printed over the weekend before seeing if it all fits together and is as accurate as I hope) So will keep you posted.